How I do computing
What do I do everyday sitting in front of my computer?
- My job is writing code, much code, even more tests, documentation,
supplementary shell-script code, interacting with databases like
PostgreSQL and Redis and running all of it. All of this is done in
Vim text editor with great help of
You can see my dotfiles.
For details see this page.
- I am subscribed to nearly 100+ of maillists and 200+ of
RSS/Atom feeds. From time to time I read them, getting miscellaneous
news and people talks. I do not have any social network accounts, so
most of the information I receive have high technical bias. All of that
posts are dropped into my mailbox.
Some of them are listed here.
- Except maillists and feeds posts I receive many ordinary
email messages. Sometimes I spent two or more hours per day answering
them. Most mail is passed through my mail server using
NNCP transport. It is received by local
Postfix MTA, then delivered by Procmail MDA. I read email using
Mutt and write it in Vim text editor, with
GnuPG processing OpenPGP and
Mu helper indexer.
- I HATE when people top-post, leave huge quoted text portions,
use HTML instead of plain text, do not wrap long lines. I respect
munging considered harmful. And do not forget about
You can read how I fight spam.
- I tend to use store-and-forward methods of data transfer. The most
important tool here is NNCP. Its software
integration examples I use are shown